PHOENIX (AP) – A man charged in metro Phoenix freeway shootings this past summer has provided conflicting accounts on when he pawned a handgun that investigators say was used in some of the attacks.
Leslie Merritt Jr. said during a Sept. 18 police interview that he couldn’t have committed the shootings because his handgun had been sitting in a pawn shop for a month and a half.
But near the end of the interview Merritt said it was pawned in late August.
Authorities say ballistic evidence was used to determine the model of the gun used in the attacks.
They say they found a match when searching pawn shops.
Authorities say they tied Merritt to four of the 11 shootings between Aug. 22 and Sept. 10.
Merritt maintains that he’s innocent.
Follow Jacques Billeaud at twitter.com/jacquesbilleaud. His work can be
found at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/jacques-billeaud
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.