YUMA, Ariz. – The Yuma Police Department said it has taken several reports of “skimming” devices being found recently at local gas station pumps. The devices are installed and hard to detect. They are usually attached to the gas pump and are used by crooks to obtain your credit and debit card information.
The devices capture your PIN and account information. The information is later used to make fraudulent purchases. Skimmers are also commonly planted in ATMs. The funds are often not taken until several months later, making the crime of the actual scan difficult to pinpoint.
The devices are usually left on the pump for a short period of time and then later removed by the criminals. There have been increased reports of this type of crime all across the country and YPD said Yuma is not isolated from this type of crime. Officers say the below listed tips may prevent you from being a victim of “skimming”:
1. You can select credit at the pump to avoid falling victim to debit card fraud.
2. Routinely check your bank statements and use credit cards with fraud protection to avoid identify theft.
3. You can pay inside the store and remain inside to sign all credit card receipts.
4. Make sure you get your receipts and properly destroy them by shredding.
5. Don’t use pumps hidden from the view of the gas station attendant.
If you believe you have been a victim of this type of crime please report it to the City of Yuma Police Department at (928)373-4700.