Yuma School District 1 raises price of student lunches

YUMA, Ariz. – At Monday’s board meeting for Yuma School District 1 the school board voted to raise the price of lunches by 50 cents. This is the first change in price for their lunches since the 1980’s. Currently lunch costs $1.00 but during the 2015-2016 school year, when the increase goes into effect, lunch will cost $1.50. The district says that 70% of their students get free or reduced lunch prices as part of a government program, so the increase will effect the remaining 30% that pay the full price for lunch.

Karen Johnson is the child nutrition director for district 1, she said the reason for the increase has to do with many factors, mainly inflation. She said the change was a long time coming and unavoidable as they are trying to prevent a deficit in their budget. She said it was a very hard decision but will better serve their students as the department will be more financially secure.

Elizabeth Reveles is a parent of a child that goes to a district 1 school and she will be paying the $1.50 for lunches next year. She said, “The increase does not bother me.it’s no different than anything else, prices are going up everywhere it’s just something we have to get used to”.

District 1 says if a family is struggling to pay the increased price to contact them and they will work with you to help find a solution.

About The Author

Related posts